Cable Street

Damside Street crosses a very busy section of Lancaster's one way system.  This is the soth west end of Cable Street.  Look along Cable Street to see some fine Georgian buildings on the left and the bus station on the right.  Continue along Damside street to go behind the bus station.

Cable Street
Cable Street from the south west end.

Cable Street and Parliament Street were wide streets designed to link the New Bridge (i.e. Skerton Bridge) with the centre of town. The original plan included development of the land between these streets and the river. The proposed development did not take place because of opposition by William Bradshaw and the economic decline at the end of the 18th century.  Nos. 1 and 3 Cable Street were designed by Richard Gillow in 1759.

The Midland Railway Engine Shed

The area around Cable Street circa 1890.  Sainsbury's supermarket now occupies the site of the Public Baths, Engine Shed and turntable though the facade of the baths has been preserved.  The lines running down the centre of Cable Street are the tramway.

1890 map

Cable Street
Cable Street from the west end.

The area depicted in the map above (now Sainsbury's and its car park) is on the right hand side.  The Castle and Priory can be seen in the background.

Brockbank's Shipyard

1845 map

In the 18th century the site next to the river, where Sainsbury's now stands, was occupied by a boat building yard.  Brockbank's shipyard lay behind Cable Street, with Lawson's quay adjacent upstream and the mill race downstream. Boat building had ceased by the time this map was made in 1845 but the Quay and the mill race can be seen, as can the Lune Foundry.

The Medieval Mill

The oldest recorded water mill in Lancaster was situated to the rear of today's bus station and Damside Street follows the line of the mill stream. It was known as Lune Mill and this was probably the mill referred to in the borough charter of 1193. It was Duchy of Lancaster property for most of its existence but was demolished in 1769 by the borough.  As you walk along Damside Street, notice the steep drop at the back of the buildings on your right.  This is thought to be a river cliff generated by erosion from the Lune which originally followed a more southerly route marked by the mill stream and, today, by Damside Street. The diversion to the current northerly route created an island which became known as Green Ayre.

Calkeld Lane

Calkeld Lane

This lane links Damside Street with Church Street.  It is an ancient street with an Anglo-Scandinavian name meaning Cold Spring - there is in fact a spring in the basement of one of the adjoining buildings.  The lane was probably built to give access to Lune Mill in the first half of the 13th century, or earlier.

At the end of Damside Street turn left onto North Road.

WB01337_.gif (904 bytes)    WB01339_.gif (896 bytes)
Previous    Next

Tour Home    LAHS Home