Castle Hill

Castle Hill has several Georgian buildings.

Castle Hill

Gillow Workshops

Gillows original workshps

No. 1 Castle Hill was originally the offices and workshops of the Gillow cabinet makers.  The building was probably designed by Richard Gillow around 1770.  The Gillow family ceased to be involved with the business in the 1830s and in 1881 the workshops and showroom moved to larger premises in North Road.

The Cottage Museum

Cottage Museum

Originally built as a single house in 1739, the cottages at nos. 15 and 17 Castle Hill were formed about 1825-1830.  No. 15 (on the left) has been furnished in the style of 1825 and is open as a small museum - enquire at the tourist information office on Castle Hill for opening times.

 The Dispensary

Dispensary

This classical building is the Dispensary built in 1785, largely in response to a typhus epidemic in which 500 were infected. Thirty-four of these died. The Dispensary was supported by donations and catered for the poor who would otherwise have been unable to afford medical care.  Sufferers, however, had to be referred by a sponsor.  The plaque reading 1845 above the entrance used to carry the relief of the good samaritan which is now at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary.

At the end of Castle Hill turn right into Meeting House Lane.

Back    WB01339_.gif (896 bytes)
Previous    Next

Tour Home    LAHS Home