Market Square

Market Street is another of the old streets of Lancaster.  The street and Market Square probably came into being following the borough charter of 1193 which granted the town the right to hold a market.  Market Street is first mentioned in monastic charters of around 1225.  For lots more information on Market Street and Market square, visit the Market Square page at the Historic Lancaster website.

Towards the west end of Market Street. This building was for a time Scott's Commercial Temperance Hotel.  Next door was Lancaster Coffee Tavern. Note the long stair windows in the gable end which are a feature of Georgian buildings in Lancaster.

Walk along Market Street to Market Square.

Market Square

French market in Market Square

The Police and Fire Stations were situated in the corner of Market Square, next to what is now Woolworths.  In the 1950s the bus station was situated in Market Square and there was an underground toilet.  Markets are no longer held regularly in the square but August bank holiday weekend, 2001, saw the square return to its former use for three days with numerous stalls selling French goods.  Prior to 1782 there was a market cross roughly where the fountain stands today, as well as the stocks.  The Blue Anchor pub in this photograph is one of the oldest pubs in Lancaster.  The mother of the linoleum magnate, Lord Ashton, was the daughter of the landlord of the Blue Anchor who married James Williamson Snr.

City Museum

Lancaster City Museum is situated in Market Square. It occupies the Old Town Hall which was built in 1783.  There are fine displays of local history and the Museum of King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster). 

City Museum

The Old Town Hall was designed by Major Thomas Jarratt and cost 2054 13s 7d. It replaced the Town Hall of 1671 and provided meeting and court rooms, the town lock up and a market on the ground floor. The cupola and top were designed by Thomas Harrison (who also designed Skerton Bridge) and were added after the building opened. A bank occupied the ground floor after the Town Hall moved in 1910. The museum filled the whole building in 1977.

Walk back along Market Street, towards King Street and turn right into the narrow Music Room Passage which is signposted on the right hand side.

Back    WB01339_.gif (896 bytes)
Previous    Next

Tour Home    LAHS Home