Meeting House Lane

Walk up Meeting House Lane towards the railway station.

The Storey Institute

Storey Institute

The Storey Institute was built on the site of the Mechanics Institute of 1824. It was built in 1891, to a design by Paley and Austin, and was paid for by Thomas Storey, so it became known as the Storey Institute. It was donated to the town in 1893 as a technical and science school, newsroom, library, art school and gallery and venue for musical recitals. In 1904, Thomas' son Herbert gave 10,000 to extend the Institute up Castle Hill.

Friends Meeting House

George Fox arrived in Lancaster in 1652 and he preached in Market Square. After an invasion of the Priory during a service he was chased by the congregation to the house of John Lawson, the first Lancaster Quaker, in St. Leonardgate. George Fox was brought to trial in the Castle in October 1652 accused of blasphemy but  was acquitted. He was imprisoned several more times during the reign of Charles II.  The Quaker community in Lancaster expanded in the 1670s and many Quakers were important merchants in the 18th century. 

The first Meeting House was built in 1677.  It was replaced by the current structure in 1708 which was further extended in1779 and again in 1789-1790.

John Lawson's gravestone can be seen inside the porch of the Meeting House. 

Continue along Meeting House Lane to the railway station.

Back    WB01339_.gif (896 bytes)
Previous    Next

Tour Home    LAHS Home