Penny Street

Penny Street

Penny Street is an ancient street, probably of Roman origin. It is first referred to in about 1280. The precinct wall of the Dominican Friary abutted the rear of the medieval burgage plots on the east side of Penny Street.

Penny Street

Looking north along Penny Street.

St. Thomas's Church.  Designed by Edmund Sharpe and built in 1840 on land given by George Marton who was MP for Lancaster from 1837-1847, it was restored in 1894 and again in 1909.

St. Thomas's
Penny Street

The junction of Penny Street and George Street.

Continue along Penny Street and turn left at Marks and Spencers into Common Garden Street.

Common Garden Street

Gillison's hospital in Common Garden Street was built in 1792 and demolished in the 1960s.  It stood roughly on the site of Littlewoods. The hospital originally comprised eight houses for unmarried women who received 3 and a new gown each year. Also in Common Garden Street was the Black Horse Inn which was the meeting place of the Philippi Club - an organization consisting of prominent businessmen and civic leaders.

Common Garden Street

Continue to the end of Common Garden Street.

Back    WB01339_.gif (896 bytes)
Previous    Next

Tour Home    LAHS Home