Stonewell is situated at the junction of St. Leonardgate, Church Street and Moor Lane. This area was also known as St. Mary's Square in the 19th Century. The entrance to Moor Lane is in the foreground of this picture. St. Leonardgate is in front of the church building which is now a pub.  This church was built in 1879 for the Congregationalists. 


Speed's map of 1610 shows an offshoot of the mill stream ending in what appears to be a circular pond at this point. For centuries this was the town's only sewer.  

Stonewell 1610
Stonewell 1890

The area around Stonewell in 1890.  St. Nicholas Street no longer exists, having been obliterated by the St. Nicholas shopping arcade.

Turn left into Moor Lane.

Moor Lane

As its name suggests this was the road that led to the moor above Lancaster, an area now occupied by Williamson Park. The gallows were situated on the Moor as shown on Yates' map of 1786. The quarries which supplied much of the stone for buildings in Lancaster, possibly from as early as the Roman period, are also shown on this map. Note the Race Course to the west of the town.

1786 map

The public drinking fountain at the entrance to Moor Lane was originally in Dalton Square. It was erected in memory of  Thomas Johnson, solicitor and promoter of outdoor activities for young men. It was moved to its current location when the new Town Hall was built in 1909.

Moor Lane

The Dukes Theatre

Duke's Theatre

Originally St. Ann's church, built in 1796 by a wing of the local Anglican church.  It now houses repertory theatre and quality cinema.

Turn right into Friar Street - so called because of the existence, until the 1530s, of a Dominican Friary on this site - and walk uphill to Dalton Square.

Back    WB01339_.gif (896 bytes)
Previous    Next

Tour Home    LAHS Home