Station

Lancaster Station

Originally known as Lancaster Castle station, Lancaster Station  opened in 1846 as the Southern terminus of the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway.  The original route of the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway was to have been to the east of the town, following the Canal and crossing the Lune from Ladies Walk to Skerton.  Although work started on this route, an alternative, cheaper route west of the town was proposed with a station behind the Castle and a bridge across the Lune west of the Vicarage Fields. The line was officially opened on 21st September 1846 and the first public service ran on 17th December. The L & C was absorbed by the London and North Western Railway in 1879. Castle Station was remodelled in 1902 with additional lines and platforms. 

The original buildings are on the west side of the railway line, at the left of the block of buildings shown in the photograph.  The mock Elizabethan architecture of the extended section on the right was intended to mirror the battlements of Lancaster Castle above the station and was the head office of the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway Co.

From the east (ticket office) side of the station turn left and make your way along the path that is signposted for the Castle.  Turn right on to West Road.

The Grammar School

At the top of West Road, turn sharp left along Long Marsh Lane and then right, along to the end of Hillside.  Here is the site of the original Free Grammar School. 

John Gardyner of Ellel's will made provision for a chantry chapel, an almshouse and a school. The school was founded in 1485 with the intention of providing free tuition in morals and Latin. In 1500 the school's timetable was 6-8am, 10am-12 noon and 2-6pm. Private donations and support from the Borough Corporation allowed the school to survive. It was rebuilt in 1682 and moved to East Road in 1851.  Nothing remains of the earlier buildings.

It's position is shown on Speed's map of 1610 (no. 3).  Castle Speed.jpg (45216 bytes)

 Return to West Road and turn left towards the Castle.

Back   
Previous    Next

Tour Home    LAHS Home